Love blossoms: Sarkozy, Bruni spend 660 pounds on flowers!
London: For France`s First Couple, 660 pounds seem to be a meagre amount -- Nicolas Sarkozy and his ladylove Carla Bruni spend the money everyday to buy flowers for each other.
The extraordinary sum was revealed in a public audit of the presidential accounts for 2008 -- Sarkozy`s first full year in office, during which he made Bruni his third wife. In fact, the figures were part of the first state audit of French leader`s spending since the reign of Louis XVI.
The couple also used taxpayers` money to settle 3,000 pounds of fines for late payment of electricity and gas bills.
But, it is their annual payments to florists to supply Elysee Palace which has caused the most astonishment, `The Daily Telegraph` reported.
At 241,000 pounds per year, the sum is even greater than spent by Elton John, who was revealed to spend around 460-pound-a-day on flowers in 1997.
Apart from Sarkozy, the former Italian supermodel- turned-pop singer is particularly fond of fresh flowers, and is frequently pictured arranging huge ases full of them inside the Elysee.
When contacted, an Elysee Palace spokesman told the British newspaper the floral bill was being reduced, and that the 2008 figures were welcomed as a move towards "transparent government".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars