Lovers to get police shield against khaps: The Times of India
Chandigarh: Love birds can now breathe easy in khap-hit Haryana. Police has made it mandatory to get the couple`s version recorded with a judicial magistrate immediately after they tie the knot as there have been instances when a girl has been handed over to her parents, who managed to make her depose against the boy.
"We want to ensure that young couples, in case they are major, get their statements recorded before the magistrate without any fear and pressure," DGP (law and order) VN Rai said on Saturday, adding that the police would provide them adequate protection.
The decision comes as relief for couples like Jitender Dhaka and Sonia Gera, who married against the wishes of the girl`s parents in 2003. "Hours after marriage, police picked us up. I was produced in a court, but Sonia was handed over to her parents. In the absence of her statement about our marriage, I was put behind bars on the complaint of her parents," said Dhaka.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case