Lovers to get police shield against khaps: The Times of India
Chandigarh: Love birds can now breathe easy in khap-hit Haryana. Police has made it mandatory to get the couple`s version recorded with a judicial magistrate immediately after they tie the knot as there have been instances when a girl has been handed over to her parents, who managed to make her depose against the boy.
"We want to ensure that young couples, in case they are major, get their statements recorded before the magistrate without any fear and pressure," DGP (law and order) VN Rai said on Saturday, adding that the police would provide them adequate protection.
The decision comes as relief for couples like Jitender Dhaka and Sonia Gera, who married against the wishes of the girl`s parents in 2003. "Hours after marriage, police picked us up. I was produced in a court, but Sonia was handed over to her parents. In the absence of her statement about our marriage, I was put behind bars on the complaint of her parents," said Dhaka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred