Lowest-ever polio cases recorded in 2010
Kolkata: India has moved closer to eradication of polio, recording only 42 cases in 2010 compared to 741 in the previous year.
Till February this year, only a single case has been reported from Howrah district in West Bengal, according to the India National Polioplus Committee of Rotary International.
A special polio immunisation campaign was launched recently in Howrah, Kolkata, Murshidabad and adjoining areas by administering oral polio vaccine to the children there.
Sources said that more immunisation campaigns were lined up in these polio high-risk areas as part of rapid response and an aggressive strategy to arrest polio incidence in the state.
“Multiple polio vaccination rounds are needed to rapidly boost immunity of children against polio, interrupt polio virus transmission in West Bengal," they said.
Committee chairman Deepak Kapur said that Rotary International along with partners, including the West Bengal government, is employing best resources and manpower available to eradicate polio from the state.
Quoting UNICEF (India)`s chief of polio eradication programme Lieven Desomer, the sources said the UNICEF had expanded partnership with NGO networks in the state to bolster community participation for polio eradication efforts.
"Protecting children against polio and eradicating the crippling disease is a top priority," he said.
Nearly 1,62,500 vaccinators are expected to immunize 93 lakh children of up to age five during the week-long polio campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: LIVE streaming of FM Jaitley Cabinet briefing
- Instead of holidaying in Bangkok, Ravi Shastri should have been physically present for high-profile coach interview: Sourav Ganguly
- Freedom 251: Will Ringing Bells ever deliver the Rs 251 smartphone?
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 606—Tanushree's plan to denigrate Pragya ends with a facepalm