Lt Governor, Rangasamy pay tributes to Gandhi
Puducherry: Lt Governor Iqbal Singh, Chief Minister N Rangasamy, Speaker V Sabapathy and Ministers were among those who paid floral tributes at the statue of Mahatma Gandhi on his 142nd birth anniversary on Sunday.
Singing of patriotic and spiritual songs, reading out excerpts from religious books of Hindu, Islam and Christian religions and spinning of charka marked the celebrations.
Rangasamy later set free some pigeons brought by school children at the Gandhi statue, the venue of the function.
Opposition Congress functionaries led by the Union Minister of State of PMO V Narayanasamy also paid floral tributes at the statue.
Former chief minister and Opposition leader V Vaithilingam, former speaker MDR Ramachandran were among those who paid glowing tributes at the statue of the Mahatma.
Narayanasamy later inaugurated a painting competition by Puducherry-based Gandhi Arts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday