Lt Governor, Rangasamy pay tributes to Gandhi
Puducherry: Lt Governor Iqbal Singh, Chief Minister N Rangasamy, Speaker V Sabapathy and Ministers were among those who paid floral tributes at the statue of Mahatma Gandhi on his 142nd birth anniversary on Sunday.
Singing of patriotic and spiritual songs, reading out excerpts from religious books of Hindu, Islam and Christian religions and spinning of charka marked the celebrations.
Rangasamy later set free some pigeons brought by school children at the Gandhi statue, the venue of the function.
Opposition Congress functionaries led by the Union Minister of State of PMO V Narayanasamy also paid floral tributes at the statue.
Former chief minister and Opposition leader V Vaithilingam, former speaker MDR Ramachandran were among those who paid glowing tributes at the statue of the Mahatma.
Narayanasamy later inaugurated a painting competition by Puducherry-based Gandhi Arts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000