Maathai appointed as UN Messenger for Peace on climate issues
Washington: The United Nations Secretary
General Ban Ki-moon on Monday announced to appoint Nobel Laureate
Wangari Maathai as the UN Messenger for Peace on climate
"I am pleased to announce that I will appoint Nobel
Peace Prize winner Wangari Maathai as a Messenger for Peace on
climate change issues," Ban told reporters at the UN
headquarters in New York before boarding the plane to
Copenhagen to attend the last leg of the climate change
"The ceremony will take place tomorrow afternoon in
Copenhagen. Professor Maathai`s long record of achievement in
environmental conservation and sustainable development makes
her an excellent choice," Ban said.
Maathai, 68, received the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize for
environmental work and reforestation in her native Kenya.
The Secretary General said he and World Bank
President Robert Zoellick had recently sent a joint letter to
an interested group of heads of state and government,
proposing how the UN system and the World Bank will work
together to implement an agreement on deforestation and
"We will follow up in Copenhagen. I will also launch
the report of my advisory group on energy and climate change.
The decisions we make on our energy future will have
far-reaching implications for climate change and development,"
"But we also see tangible progress on core issues of
technology cooperation and financing. We have reached
substantial agreement on fast track funding for mitigation and
adaptation," he said.
"Looking ahead, we need greater clarity on a robust
finance package for the middle and longer-term. It is
essential that we leave Copenhagen with a clear understanding
of how we will meet the financing challenge through 2020," he
"We must also recognise that Copenhagen is only a
beginning. Ultimately, success will be measured by our
progress on the ground. That is why, in Copenhagen, I will
attend to some practical matters of implementing an
agreement," said the Secretary General.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'