`Magnificent` Mary Kom in World C`ship quarters
Bridgetown: Indian boxer M C Mary
Kom (48kg) continued her march towards a fifth consecutive
World Championship title by advancing to the quarterfinals
with a thumping win over Australian Jenny Smith here.
Mary Kom dispatched Smith before the end of the first
round with the referee stopping the contest when the score was
already 9-0 in the Indian`s favour.
The mother-of-two from Manipur, who is also a Khel Ratna
awardee, will take on Welshwoman Lynsey Holdaway in the
last-eight stage on September 15.
The 25-year-old is just one win away from assuring
herself of a medal in the sixth edition of the event.
However, there was disappointment for Neetu in the 60kg
category as she lost 2-12 to former world champion Katie
Taylor of Ireland.
A vicious right hook in the first round could almost have
sealed the contest, but Neetu managed to hold out for the full
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi