`Magnificent` Mary Kom in World C`ship quarters
Bridgetown: Indian boxer M C Mary
Kom (48kg) continued her march towards a fifth consecutive
World Championship title by advancing to the quarterfinals
with a thumping win over Australian Jenny Smith here.
Mary Kom dispatched Smith before the end of the first
round with the referee stopping the contest when the score was
already 9-0 in the Indian`s favour.
The mother-of-two from Manipur, who is also a Khel Ratna
awardee, will take on Welshwoman Lynsey Holdaway in the
last-eight stage on September 15.
The 25-year-old is just one win away from assuring
herself of a medal in the sixth edition of the event.
However, there was disappointment for Neetu in the 60kg
category as she lost 2-12 to former world champion Katie
Taylor of Ireland.
A vicious right hook in the first round could almost have
sealed the contest, but Neetu managed to hold out for the full
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...