Maharashtra set to get new government tomorrow
New Delhi: Maharashtra is set to get a new
government on Tuesday as Chief Minister Ashok Chavan and his
Deputy Chhagan Bhujbal are expected to take oath of office.
"The Chief Minister and the Deputy Chief Minister will
take oath tomorrow," highly placed Congress sources said,
adding that the Cabinet formation would take place at a later
This indicates that the Congress and the NCP, which
returned to power for the third consecutive term, were yet to
reach an understanding on the sharing of portfolios.
The Congress, which has won 20 seats more than its ally
NCP, has been demanding a lion`s share in the government,
including key portfolios like Home, Finance and Power.
The NCP on the other hand has been insisting on 50 per
cent share of the 42 ministries on offer, including key
portfolios like Home, Finance and Power, which it has held
since 1999 when the two parties first formed government.
The delay in government formation had triggered calls by
BJP leader Eknath Khadse that the BJP-Shiv Sena opposition
alliance will seek imposition of President`s rule in the state
if the new government is not in place by November three, when
the tenure of the present Assembly expires.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch