Maharashtra set to get new government tomorrow
New Delhi: Maharashtra is set to get a new
government on Tuesday as Chief Minister Ashok Chavan and his
Deputy Chhagan Bhujbal are expected to take oath of office.
"The Chief Minister and the Deputy Chief Minister will
take oath tomorrow," highly placed Congress sources said,
adding that the Cabinet formation would take place at a later
This indicates that the Congress and the NCP, which
returned to power for the third consecutive term, were yet to
reach an understanding on the sharing of portfolios.
The Congress, which has won 20 seats more than its ally
NCP, has been demanding a lion`s share in the government,
including key portfolios like Home, Finance and Power.
The NCP on the other hand has been insisting on 50 per
cent share of the 42 ministries on offer, including key
portfolios like Home, Finance and Power, which it has held
since 1999 when the two parties first formed government.
The delay in government formation had triggered calls by
BJP leader Eknath Khadse that the BJP-Shiv Sena opposition
alliance will seek imposition of President`s rule in the state
if the new government is not in place by November three, when
the tenure of the present Assembly expires.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India