Mahatma`s dream lives on in Nepal
Kathmandu: Sixty-one years after he died, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi`s dream of self-reliance lives on in Nepal.
The spinning wheel that became one of the integral symbols associated with the man known as the father of the nation in India has created one of Nepal`s best known handicraft centres, thronged by foreign tourists for its exquisite pottery, textiles and metal knickknacks.
However, few know that the busy Mahaguthi outlets in the prime tourist areas Patan and Lazimpat are inspired by Mahatma Gandhi`s teachings and vision.
They are the brainchild of a disciple of the Mahatma, Tulsi Mehar Shrestha, who is also known as the Mahatma Gandhi of Nepal.
Born in 1896, Shrestha lived in a Nepal that was under the complete rule of the hereditary Rana prime ministers. Political parties were banned, people were not allowed access to education and freedom of expression was non-existent.
Shrestha chafed against the rigid caste system, which especially victimised women, and began to speak out against the orthodox Hindu religion that created the social hierarchy.
Soon, he was branded anti-national by then Rana prime minister Chandra Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana and asked to either go into exile or face a lifetime in prison.
Shrestha chose to go to India, where he came in contact with Mahatma Gandhi and became his disciple.
Gandhi took up Shrestha`s case before Chandra Shumsher and wrote a letter to him, asking him to allow the exile to return.
The prime minister relented and Shrestha returned to Kathamndu valley where he set up the first textile units with a bundle of raw cotton gifted to him by Mahatma Gandhi.
Thus grew the Nepal Charkha Pracharak Gandhi Smarak Mahaguthi, which today is known as Mahaguthi, Craft with a Conscience, which serves over 1,000 producers.
Forty percent of its annual profit is used to run a residential training and rehabilitation centre for widows and destitute women.
The Tulsi Mehar Mahila Ashram near the Tribhuvan International Airport today offers a two-year training course in weaving, sewing, knitting and literacy classes to destitute women as well as education to their children.
In 1977, the Indian government bestowed the Nehru Award on Shrestha in recognition of his social service.
He used the award money to found the ashram and today the Tulsi Mehar Mahila Ashram also runs a small community hospital, production workshops, a kindergarten school and a play area for children.
Nepal`s Mahatma Gandhi died on Sep 27, 1978, shortly after the ashram was inaugurated.
But both the Gandhis` vision lives on through Mahaguthi, which is a founding member of the Fair Trade Group Nepal, a member of the International Fair Trade Association, and the Asia Fair Trade Forum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt