Maiden win for Bafna in in Karting C`ship
Coimbatore: Mumbai boy Ameya Kamlesh Bafna (Rayo Racing) came up with a fine drive to pip favourite Chittesh Mandody (Mohite`s Racing) for his maiden win in the final of the Senior Max category in the JK Tyre-FMSCI National Rotax Max Karting Championship on Sunday.
The 16-year old Bafna, lying 14th in the FIA-CIK approved championship promoted by Meco Motorsports, started third on the grid, but gained a place before moving past pole-sitter and winner of the opening two rounds Mandody for his first win in three seasons of karting.
With Sunday’s results, the third round of the Karting Championship concluded at the Kari Motor Speedway.
"I had to work hard for this win. In the earlier two rounds, I was very much in the running for podium, but couldn`t finish due to problems. For this season, I have a full budget, bought a new chassis and engine, and also a tuner from Malaysia. Now I want to be consistent," said Bafna, a 12th standard student of Mumbai`s Podar International School.
Earlier, Mandody, the 18-year old from Kolhapur, won the Pre-Final by the proverbial country mile after overcoming a slow start even as two of his closest challengers Vishnu Prasad (Meco Racing) and Bafna spun out of contention.
Meanwhile, Bangalore`s Arjun Maini and his younger brother Kush (both Maini Racing), won the final of the Junior Max and Micro Max categories in contrasting styles.
In the Junior Pre-final run, Maini, who led at the start, pulled out midway through with a stuck throttle and finished two laps down as Chennai schoolboy Tarun Reddy (Meco Racing) coasted home.
Maini, however, was in his elements in the final when he carved his way through the field from 10th position to second spot behind Jehan Daruvala (Rayo Racing).
In the last lap, Maini squeezed past Daruvala a few corners before the finish and hung on for a fine win.
Kush Maini dominated the Micro Max category as he barely put a wheel wrong to win from start to finish in both Pre-Final and Final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'