Make clubs commercial entity or it will go JCT way
New Delhi: Former India captain Bhaichung Bhutia feels that more and more clubs will go the Mahindra United and JCT way and disband themselves unless AIFF finds ways to make them better "commercial entities."
"I am definitely sad at the development of events but Indian clubs are yet to become commercial entities. As long as that doesn`t happen, more and more clubs will go the JCT way," Bhutia said on Monday.
"In 1996, when we won the inaugural National Football League and that was the golden period of JCT football myself, Vijayan, Jo-Paul (Ancheri), Carlton Chapman, Tejinder Kumar formed the core. All the stars wanted to play for JCT. But you have got to understand their sentiments. Year after year, they have been spending crores of rupees with minimal returns.
"After a certain point of time, you feel frustrated and this is what happens. I am sad but not surprised," Bhutia said in a forthright assessment of the current scenario.
Bhutia feels that lack of fanbase was both Mahindra United and JCT`s undoing.
"Unless you become a private limited company, it is difficult to develop a fanbase. Once the fans throng to the grounds, it is easier to attract the sponsors. The AIFF must also do their bit to generate good revenue through television rights which will keep the corporates interested," he explained.
Asked about the Argentina vs Venezuela match in Kolkata in September, which is likely to feature Lionel Messi, the former India captain said it will boost the popularity of the game for a "short span of time".
"But the positive part is that it`s a commercially viable product which the potential sponsors will be interested in investing. Now, one has to look at these sponsors who are investing in a football match. You have to give them a good product. At this point of time, there is sadly no assurance of good returns for the investors," Bhutia stated.
Punjab-based JCT Club on Monday disbanded itself from professional football citing lack of public interest in the game in the country.
The Punjab powerhouse side`s decision to pull out from competitive football has come a year after Mahindra United disbanded after finding itself difficult to sustain due to lack of interest in the game in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo