Maken issues ultimatum to HI, IHF to merge by July
New Delhi: The government issued an ultimatum to Hockey India and Indian Hockey Federation to merge by July 25, failing which the Sports Ministry would take a decision on its own and inform the Supreme Court about it.
"I will not wait beyond July 25. We have called for a meeting with HI and IHF on July 25. A decision would certainly come out by then," Sports Minister Ajay Maken told a press conference.
"We are calling the two bodies to give it a last try on merger but this will be the last meeting. If nothing comes out of it then we will take a decision on our own and inform the Supreme Court," he said.
Asked about the reason why the last merger talks had failed, Maken said, "I was really hopeful that the merger would be successful. Unfortunately, it seems that inflated egos taken over the national interest and the national game," said Maken.
The merger talks between HI and IHF fell apart last week, following a series of meetings in the presence of sports ministry officials.
Maken informed that the ministry is giving the two warring bodies a last chance after IHF President R K Shetty had spoken and written to the Ministry again to discuss some of the finer points.
"On Saturday Mr R K Shetty talked to joint secretary (sports) Injeti Srinivas and myself. He has also written a lengthy email to secretary, joint secretary and myself, where he has said that he would like to come again and discuss some finer points. He is also hopeful that we will be able to achieve what we wanted as far as good relations between the two warring bodies are concerned," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror