Maken issues ultimatum to HI, IHF to merge by July
New Delhi: The government issued an ultimatum to Hockey India and Indian Hockey Federation to merge by July 25, failing which the Sports Ministry would take a decision on its own and inform the Supreme Court about it.
"I will not wait beyond July 25. We have called for a meeting with HI and IHF on July 25. A decision would certainly come out by then," Sports Minister Ajay Maken told a press conference.
"We are calling the two bodies to give it a last try on merger but this will be the last meeting. If nothing comes out of it then we will take a decision on our own and inform the Supreme Court," he said.
Asked about the reason why the last merger talks had failed, Maken said, "I was really hopeful that the merger would be successful. Unfortunately, it seems that inflated egos taken over the national interest and the national game," said Maken.
The merger talks between HI and IHF fell apart last week, following a series of meetings in the presence of sports ministry officials.
Maken informed that the ministry is giving the two warring bodies a last chance after IHF President R K Shetty had spoken and written to the Ministry again to discuss some of the finer points.
"On Saturday Mr R K Shetty talked to joint secretary (sports) Injeti Srinivas and myself. He has also written a lengthy email to secretary, joint secretary and myself, where he has said that he would like to come again and discuss some finer points. He is also hopeful that we will be able to achieve what we wanted as far as good relations between the two warring bodies are concerned," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons