Makhan Singh`s family gets aid from National Welfare Fund
New Delhi: 1962 Asian Games gold medallist
late Makhan Singh`s family has been sanctioned Rs three lakh
under the National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons.
A committee of the welfare fund met in Delhi on July 7 at
which Gurbachan Singh Randhawa, Makhan`s team-mate in several
international meets including the Tokyo Olympics, made a
request to Sports Minister M S Gill.
Randhawa`s request was accepted and placed before the
panel for immediate sanction.
Makhan, a 400m runner, had beaten Milkha Singh in the
1964 National Games.
He won a gold in the 4x400m relay in in the 1962 Asian
Games in Jakarta, besides bagging a silver in 400m. He died in
He was from Bathulla, Hoshiarpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing