Makhan Singh`s family gets aid from National Welfare Fund
New Delhi: 1962 Asian Games gold medallist
late Makhan Singh`s family has been sanctioned Rs three lakh
under the National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons.
A committee of the welfare fund met in Delhi on July 7 at
which Gurbachan Singh Randhawa, Makhan`s team-mate in several
international meets including the Tokyo Olympics, made a
request to Sports Minister M S Gill.
Randhawa`s request was accepted and placed before the
panel for immediate sanction.
Makhan, a 400m runner, had beaten Milkha Singh in the
1964 National Games.
He won a gold in the 4x400m relay in in the 1962 Asian
Games in Jakarta, besides bagging a silver in 400m. He died in
He was from Bathulla, Hoshiarpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- GST rate on processed foods should be low or zero: CII
- BCCI sells India-West Indies T20 rights without following Supreme Court mandated tender procedure: Report
- Demi Lovato sued for copyright infringement
- Washed out Tests: ICC sanctions loom over 'poor' outfields at Kingsmead, Queen's Park Oval
- Madhya Pradesh Assembly ratifies GST Bill