Maldives: Ex-president`s family flees to Sri Lanka
Colombo: The family of deposed Maldivian president Mohamed Nasheed has fled the country and sought refuge in Sri Lanka following unrest, a media report said.
Nasheed`s wife Laila Ali arrived here on Wednesday night, reported the Sunday Leader, without saying who else was accompanying her.
She spoke to President Mahinda Rajapaksa over telephone after her arrival, the newspaper`s website reported.
Rajapaksa then telephoned new Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed and urged him to ensure the safety of Nasheed.
Waheed assured Rajapaksa that no harm will come to Nasheed, it quoted sources in the president`s office as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi