Maldives: Ex-president`s family flees to Sri Lanka
Colombo: The family of deposed Maldivian president Mohamed Nasheed has fled the country and sought refuge in Sri Lanka following unrest, a media report said.
Nasheed`s wife Laila Ali arrived here on Wednesday night, reported the Sunday Leader, without saying who else was accompanying her.
She spoke to President Mahinda Rajapaksa over telephone after her arrival, the newspaper`s website reported.
Rajapaksa then telephoned new Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed and urged him to ensure the safety of Nasheed.
Waheed assured Rajapaksa that no harm will come to Nasheed, it quoted sources in the president`s office as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India