Maldives: Ex-president`s family flees to Sri Lanka
Colombo: The family of deposed Maldivian president Mohamed Nasheed has fled the country and sought refuge in Sri Lanka following unrest, a media report said.
Nasheed`s wife Laila Ali arrived here on Wednesday night, reported the Sunday Leader, without saying who else was accompanying her.
She spoke to President Mahinda Rajapaksa over telephone after her arrival, the newspaper`s website reported.
Rajapaksa then telephoned new Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed and urged him to ensure the safety of Nasheed.
Waheed assured Rajapaksa that no harm will come to Nasheed, it quoted sources in the president`s office as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- BIZARRE! Panchayat slaps Rs 5 lakh fine on Haryana school after Eid celebration
- Twinkle Khanna slams Naseeruddin Shah online! - Know why
- Singapore-based company develops robot therapist to help relieve muscle strains
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh chairs high-level meeting in Kashmir
- India, Bangladesh border forces discuss issues in Tripura