Maldives: Ex-president`s family flees to Sri Lanka
Colombo: The family of deposed Maldivian president Mohamed Nasheed has fled the country and sought refuge in Sri Lanka following unrest, a media report said.
Nasheed`s wife Laila Ali arrived here on Wednesday night, reported the Sunday Leader, without saying who else was accompanying her.
She spoke to President Mahinda Rajapaksa over telephone after her arrival, the newspaper`s website reported.
Rajapaksa then telephoned new Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed and urged him to ensure the safety of Nasheed.
Waheed assured Rajapaksa that no harm will come to Nasheed, it quoted sources in the president`s office as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16