Mamata flags off Tollygunge-Garia Metro services
Kolkata: A 5.8-kilometre metro rail stretch
from Tollygunge to Garia Bazar in the southern outskirts of
the metropolis was on Saturday inaugurated by Railway Minister
Banerjee announced that Dakshineswar, Barasat and
Rajarhat in North 24 Parganas district would be part of the
Metro Rail, she said, had sanctioned a 75-bed hospital at
Chanditola to be named after late filmmaker Tapan Sinha.
Besides, the metro rail would construct a world-class
stadium to be named after late film maestro Satyajit Ray.
"We have taken some decisions like naming the Maidan
station after legendary footballer Gostha Pal," she said.
The programme was held close to Tollygunj metro station
which was renamed after legendary thespian Uttam Kumar.
West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi said he had
travelled to the venue in a Metro train.
Also present among others were Union Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee, Metro Railway general manager, railway
officials, Trinamool Congress MPs, MLAs and Leader of the
Opposition in state assembly Partha Chatterjee.
The state Transport Minister Ranjit Kundu, who was
an invitee, did not turn up on the ground that the invitation
was not sent "in a proper and decent manner".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!