Mamata promises support to Mampi
Kolkata: Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee today promised to support cash-strapped promising 14-year-old air rifle shooter Mampi Das, who had won a silver and bronze medals in the South Asian Games.
Daughter of a bus driver, Mampi had won a team silver and individual bronze in her pet air rifle event at the 11th South Asian Games in Dhaka earlier this year.
Mampi along with her family today called on Banerjee for financial assistance and she directed the Trinamool Congress controlled Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) to look after her needs.
"Shooting being an expensive sport, it is difficult for me to meet her needs. So we thought of approaching Banerjee for a job for her.
"But getting a job is not possible since Mampi is just 14 years of age. We are really happy that KMC will now provide monetary assistance to her for four years," Mampi`s father Manik Das said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- No confirmation on meeting with Manohar Parrikar on OROP: Ex-servicemen
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends