Mamata promises support to Mampi
Kolkata: Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee today promised to support cash-strapped promising 14-year-old air rifle shooter Mampi Das, who had won a silver and bronze medals in the South Asian Games.
Daughter of a bus driver, Mampi had won a team silver and individual bronze in her pet air rifle event at the 11th South Asian Games in Dhaka earlier this year.
Mampi along with her family today called on Banerjee for financial assistance and she directed the Trinamool Congress controlled Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) to look after her needs.
"Shooting being an expensive sport, it is difficult for me to meet her needs. So we thought of approaching Banerjee for a job for her.
"But getting a job is not possible since Mampi is just 14 years of age. We are really happy that KMC will now provide monetary assistance to her for four years," Mampi`s father Manik Das said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal