Mamata to present Rail Budget
New Delhi: Railways are unlikely to carry out any major changes in passenger fares in the Rail Budget for the eighth year in succession, even as more than 100 new trains could be announced, including a dozen non-stop Durontos.
The Rail Budget 2011-12, to be presented in Lok Sabha Friday, could also find mention of mega base kitchens in the metros preparing 50,000 to 1 lakh meals per day for the train passengers. This would be managed by railway itself as per the new catering policy, sources said.
Rail Minister Mamata Banerjee, facing Assembly elections in West Bengal in two months, could also announce a slew of projects for her state, including a rail link connecting the busy Howrah and Sealdah stations running through the densely
populated central districts of Kolkata.
Catering to the student community, she could also announce running of student special trains keeping in mind the travel requirement during examinations and trains with only bookings under Tatkal scheme.
A multi-mode transport system between Hyderabad and Secunderabad is likely to find a mention in the budget along with capacity enhancement of the Mumbai suburban rail system.
Banerjee could also announce measures to step up work on the dedicated Rail Freight Corridors project which is lagging behind schedule, while the national transporter would continue to maintain the dynamic pricing policy in freight.
Finance Ministry is likely to grant Rs 20,000 crore as gross budgetary support though the Railways had sought about Rs 39,000 crore from the Centre, the sources said.
As a last ditch effort, Banerjee has reached out to the Planning Commission for approval of many of her pet projects even as the former is understood to be hesitant in accepting most of them.
The sources said the Commission has accepted 14 of the 40 rail projects which she had planned to announce during the Rail Budget.
An SMS-based service for passengers to lodge complaints against rail services is also likely to be announced.
The sources said the number 132 is being finalised for lodging complaints through SMS from anywhere in the country.
Like the inquiry number 131, new number 132 will be an all-India service.
The Budget comes at a time when the Railways are facing financial crunch with its operating ratio inching close to 100 level mark. "So there will be a few measures for generation of more internal resources," they said.
A new industrial park, a green toilet manufacturing plant in Nagpur and new coaching complexes at places like Haldia and Majerhat could also figure in the Budget.
For the north-east, a new diesel loco shed is expected to come up in Assam keeping the growing traffic in the region and strategic importance of the place.
More DMU trains are also likely in the Budget for the north-east, as the Railways propose to introduce new Duronto services from Guwahati to New Delhi and Howrah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks