Mammoths `warmed Earth 13,000 years ago`
London: Woolly mammoths helped to keep
the Earth warm by filling the atmosphere with methane 13,000 years ago, say scientists.
An international team, led by the University of
New Mexico, has claimed that mammoths, along with other large
plant eating mammals, may have created about 9.5 million tons
of the methane gas each year.
An analysis of ice cores has shown that when
they disappeared there was a huge fall in atmospheric methane,
which may have caused the last Ice Age, according to the
They found a "cold event" hit the Earth at the same
time as methane levels fell.
"The changes in methane concentration seem to be
unique. Decreased methane emissions caused by the extinction
of New World `megafauna` could have played a role," the
British quoted the scientists as saying.
Methane is a powerful greenhouse gas.
About 13,400 years ago the Americas were heavily
populated by large-bodied herbivores like mammoths, camelids
and ground sloths and had a richer array of animals than
present-day Africa. But 2,000 years later 80 per cent of them
Their disappearance, accounting for more than 114
lost species, came within 1000 years of the arrival of humans
in the New World, but experts disagree over whether hunters or
environmental changes were to blame.
The findings have been published in the latest edition
of the `Nature Geoscience` journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India