Man arrested for selling `intoxicant` that killed three: DGP
Ahmedabad: A man was arrested here today in
connection with the death of three persons, including one who
succumbed late in the night on Friday, due to consumption of a
chemical substance, even as a top police official claimed that
the victims had consumed methyl solvent for intoxication.
"The three persons, who died after consuming some
spurious substance, had taken methyl solvent for
intoxication,"Gujarat DGP S S Khandwawala told reporters here.
He said the city crime branch has been asked to conduct
a detailed investigation into the case and one person has also
been arrested in this connection.
"One person Zakir alias Shabir Hussain has been
arrested and seven litre methyl solvent has been recovered
from his house," he said.
A group of people consumed the chemical substance
yesterday of which three died while four others were
hospitalised, police said.
Khandwawala ruled out that hooch was still being sold
in the city even after the hooch tragedy last month which
claimed over 130 lives.
"It is not hooch or country made liquor. It was a
chemical substance which was consumed for intoxication," he
Meanwhile, Police Inspector of Gaekwad Haveli police
station, under whose jurisdiction the incident took place, has
been transferred, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends