Man arrested for selling `intoxicant` that killed three: DGP
Ahmedabad: A man was arrested here today in
connection with the death of three persons, including one who
succumbed late in the night on Friday, due to consumption of a
chemical substance, even as a top police official claimed that
the victims had consumed methyl solvent for intoxication.
"The three persons, who died after consuming some
spurious substance, had taken methyl solvent for
intoxication,"Gujarat DGP S S Khandwawala told reporters here.
He said the city crime branch has been asked to conduct
a detailed investigation into the case and one person has also
been arrested in this connection.
"One person Zakir alias Shabir Hussain has been
arrested and seven litre methyl solvent has been recovered
from his house," he said.
A group of people consumed the chemical substance
yesterday of which three died while four others were
hospitalised, police said.
Khandwawala ruled out that hooch was still being sold
in the city even after the hooch tragedy last month which
claimed over 130 lives.
"It is not hooch or country made liquor. It was a
chemical substance which was consumed for intoxication," he
Meanwhile, Police Inspector of Gaekwad Haveli police
station, under whose jurisdiction the incident took place, has
been transferred, sources said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram