Man City`s Tevez scores twice, wants to stay
Manchester: Carlos Tevez struck a superb double as Manchester City rose to third in the Premier League and closer to a guaranteed Champions League spot with a 3-0 win over FA Cup final opponents Stoke City.
The unsettled Argentine, who coach Robnerto Mancini said had told him he wanted to stay at the club, showed his importance with emphatic finishes either side of a Joleon Lescott header.
The win saw City leapfrog Arsenal and boost their chances of avoiding a playoff to reach Europe`s elite competition.
The win moves Mancini`s in-form side into a coveted automatic Champions League place with 68 points while Arsenal are fourth with 67 also from 37 games with one remaining.
Tevez, who is now joint top scorer in the Premier League with 20 goals, has been dogged by rumours about his future since he submitted a transfer request in December.
But Mancini told a post-match news conference Tevez had reassured the Italian he would still be at Eastlands to spearhead their European campaign next season.
"Every time we say he is important and a fantastic player," the City boss told reporters. "I think he will stay here next season. We don`t have a problem. He told me that he wants to stay, he has a five-year contract."
A pedestrian first half was brought to life after 14 minutes when Tevez fired City in front against the team they beat to lift the FA Cup at Wembley on Saturday.
The striker played a one-two with James Milner before beating Stoke defenders Ryan Shawcross and Andy Wilkinson and hitting the ball into the top corner.
Lescott doubled City`s advantage eight minutes into the second half when he rose above goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen and headed into an empty net.
Tevez then wrapped up all three points with a ferocious curling freekick from 30 metres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!