Man gets 5 year jail for rape attempt
New Delhi: A Delhi court today awarded
rigorous jail term for five years to a man for attempting to
rape his 8-year-old neighbour here in 2008.
Terming the offence as "heinous", Additional District
and Sessions Judge Arun Kumar Arya also imposed a fine of
Rs 5,000 on convict Om Prakash and ordered that the amount be
given to mother of the victim.
The court lent credence to the testimony of the girl
and rejected the defence plea that there were "discrepancies"
in her statement recorded during the trial.
"The evidence of a child has to be taken with caution.
In the present case, the victim was coherent and stable at the
time of examination and her statement inspires confidence,
trustworthiness and can safely be relied on for the purpose of
conviction without any legal impediments," it said, citing
various apex court decisions to support its findings.
An FIR was lodged on January 6 last year at Sangam
Vihar police station by the mother of the victim, a class IV
student, that Om Prakash, who was also living as tenant in the
same building, attempted to rape her daughter when she was
playing on the roof.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'