Man gets 5 year jail for rape attempt
New Delhi: A Delhi court today awarded
rigorous jail term for five years to a man for attempting to
rape his 8-year-old neighbour here in 2008.
Terming the offence as "heinous", Additional District
and Sessions Judge Arun Kumar Arya also imposed a fine of
Rs 5,000 on convict Om Prakash and ordered that the amount be
given to mother of the victim.
The court lent credence to the testimony of the girl
and rejected the defence plea that there were "discrepancies"
in her statement recorded during the trial.
"The evidence of a child has to be taken with caution.
In the present case, the victim was coherent and stable at the
time of examination and her statement inspires confidence,
trustworthiness and can safely be relied on for the purpose of
conviction without any legal impediments," it said, citing
various apex court decisions to support its findings.
An FIR was lodged on January 6 last year at Sangam
Vihar police station by the mother of the victim, a class IV
student, that Om Prakash, who was also living as tenant in the
same building, attempted to rape her daughter when she was
playing on the roof.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- North Korea says any further nuclear test depends on US
- British Council employee under fire over Prince George remarks
- British convert to Islam 'Jihadi Jack' denies joining ISIS
- Rio Olympics: Saina Nehwal seeded 5th, PV Sindhu 9th for the 2016 Games
- Volkswagen gets preliminary approval for US diesel settlement