Man gets 5 year jail for rape attempt
New Delhi: A Delhi court today awarded
rigorous jail term for five years to a man for attempting to
rape his 8-year-old neighbour here in 2008.
Terming the offence as "heinous", Additional District
and Sessions Judge Arun Kumar Arya also imposed a fine of
Rs 5,000 on convict Om Prakash and ordered that the amount be
given to mother of the victim.
The court lent credence to the testimony of the girl
and rejected the defence plea that there were "discrepancies"
in her statement recorded during the trial.
"The evidence of a child has to be taken with caution.
In the present case, the victim was coherent and stable at the
time of examination and her statement inspires confidence,
trustworthiness and can safely be relied on for the purpose of
conviction without any legal impediments," it said, citing
various apex court decisions to support its findings.
An FIR was lodged on January 6 last year at Sangam
Vihar police station by the mother of the victim, a class IV
student, that Om Prakash, who was also living as tenant in the
same building, attempted to rape her daughter when she was
playing on the roof.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Bank of Baroda's total business takes Rs 90,000-crore hit in 2015-16
- Rupee rebounds 6 paise to 67.05 vs USD
- Sri Lanka vs Australia: Thisara Perera penalised, Mitchell Starc reprimanded for ICC code of conduct breaches
- UEFA Champions League 2016-17 draw; Player of the Year award ceremony — As it happened...
- Kannada actress Ramya attacked with eggs in Mangaluru over 'pro-Pak remarks'