Man gets 5 year jail for rape attempt
New Delhi: A Delhi court today awarded
rigorous jail term for five years to a man for attempting to
rape his 8-year-old neighbour here in 2008.
Terming the offence as "heinous", Additional District
and Sessions Judge Arun Kumar Arya also imposed a fine of
Rs 5,000 on convict Om Prakash and ordered that the amount be
given to mother of the victim.
The court lent credence to the testimony of the girl
and rejected the defence plea that there were "discrepancies"
in her statement recorded during the trial.
"The evidence of a child has to be taken with caution.
In the present case, the victim was coherent and stable at the
time of examination and her statement inspires confidence,
trustworthiness and can safely be relied on for the purpose of
conviction without any legal impediments," it said, citing
various apex court decisions to support its findings.
An FIR was lodged on January 6 last year at Sangam
Vihar police station by the mother of the victim, a class IV
student, that Om Prakash, who was also living as tenant in the
same building, attempted to rape her daughter when she was
playing on the roof.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured