Man U start off with a win; Chelsea draw
Manchester: English champions Manchester United opened their title defence with a 2-1 win at West Bromwich Albion on Sunday while Chelsea could manage a draw only in new coach Andre Villas-Boas` first Premier League match.
United opening the scoring in the 13th minute when Wayne Rooney combined well with winger Ashley Young before sending a left-footed shot into the bottom right corner.
The hosts levelled through debutant Shane Long, who made the most of United keeper David De Gea`s lack of conviction, before Young masterminded a winner that West Brom defender Steven Reid deflected into his own net in the 81st minute.
United did what none of their main rivals could this weekend after Chelsea drew 0-0 at Stoke City on Sunday and Arsenal and Liverpool also managed a point only in their openers on Saturday. Manchester City host Swansea City on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'