Man U start off with a win; Chelsea draw
Manchester: English champions Manchester United opened their title defence with a 2-1 win at West Bromwich Albion on Sunday while Chelsea could manage a draw only in new coach Andre Villas-Boas` first Premier League match.
United opening the scoring in the 13th minute when Wayne Rooney combined well with winger Ashley Young before sending a left-footed shot into the bottom right corner.
The hosts levelled through debutant Shane Long, who made the most of United keeper David De Gea`s lack of conviction, before Young masterminded a winner that West Brom defender Steven Reid deflected into his own net in the 81st minute.
United did what none of their main rivals could this weekend after Chelsea drew 0-0 at Stoke City on Sunday and Arsenal and Liverpool also managed a point only in their openers on Saturday. Manchester City host Swansea City on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official
- Hungary to build second fence on border with Serbia to keep out migrants
- Curfew in several areas of Kashmir ahead of planned march
- No ''tech traces'' of American University attack found: Pakistan to Afghanistan
- Intex unveils Cloud Tread smartphone for multi-taskers at Rs 4,999