Man U targetting Tottenham striker Modric during overhaul spree
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson will begin a summer of significant rebuilding at Old Trafford with a 20-million-pound bid for Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric.
According to a newspaper report, Ferguson is already planning for the future and is poised to open negotiations with Tottenham for Modric, a player he has admired for a long time.
With the Scot telling friends recently that he may continue at Old Trafford for as long as three more years, he knows that he must add to his squad if he is to close the gap on Europe’s No 1 team Barcelona.
United is also poised to bid for the Aston Villa forward Ashley Young, a move for Modric would appear to indicate that Ferguson feels he needs a greater variety of attacking options.
United will face stern resistance from Tottenham when they open the bidding for Croatian star Modric as they have already taken Michael Carrick and Dimitar Berbatov from White Hart Lane in recent years.
Modric, 25, is also under contract until 2016 and has stated that he is not looking to leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends