Man U targetting Tottenham striker Modric during overhaul spree
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson will begin a summer of significant rebuilding at Old Trafford with a 20-million-pound bid for Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric.
According to a newspaper report, Ferguson is already planning for the future and is poised to open negotiations with Tottenham for Modric, a player he has admired for a long time.
With the Scot telling friends recently that he may continue at Old Trafford for as long as three more years, he knows that he must add to his squad if he is to close the gap on Europe’s No 1 team Barcelona.
United is also poised to bid for the Aston Villa forward Ashley Young, a move for Modric would appear to indicate that Ferguson feels he needs a greater variety of attacking options.
United will face stern resistance from Tottenham when they open the bidding for Croatian star Modric as they have already taken Michael Carrick and Dimitar Berbatov from White Hart Lane in recent years.
Modric, 25, is also under contract until 2016 and has stated that he is not looking to leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal
- Olympics 2016: More Russians banned in mounting Rio toll