Man U thrash Portsmouth 4-1; Giggs scores 100th EPL goal
Portsmouth: Portsmouth were on the receiving end of a Manchester United goal-glut, conceding four times with only one response.
Prior to United`s trip to Fratton Park to take on Portsmouth, Sir Alex Ferguson alluded to the potential of "new manager syndrome" in upsetting the reigning Premier League champions` ambitions of returning to Manchester with maximum points.
Avram Grant`s unofficial (work permit issues prevent the Israeli from officially taking the reigns at Pompey) start to his Portsmouth tenure, though, did not begin with a win, despite Ferguson`s absence from the touchline - the Scotsman began his two-game touchline ban for his defamatory "unfit" comments aired toward officiator Alan Wiley.
Ryan Giggs, 36 on Sunday, began his celebrations a day early as he danced his way around the Fratton Park turf. In the 10th minute the Welsh wizard proved his Premier League class by enjoying the freedom of the left flank and threatening Asmir Begovic`s goal with box-bound crosses that begged for an obliging head.
The Bosnian stopper showed a good command of his area, however, and prevented any controversy that Sir Alex may have spoken of in his post-match notes, as Giggs capitalised on a pass that found it`s way to his feet via referee Mike Dean.
Portsmouth had their early chances, too, but Tomasz Kuszczak proved a reliable glovesman, saving efforts from Aruna Dindane and midfielder Jamie O`Hara. The latter of which was a well struck volley from outside the area.
In the 25th minute, Wayne Rooney was adjudged by Dean to have been felled in the area by Michael Brown, and the stocky English striker made no mistake from the resultant spot-kick - he slipped his penalty to the right, Begovic unable to prevent the conversion.
Six minutes later the home side found an equaliser, again from the penalty spot, as highly-rated prospect Kevin Prince Boateng placed an accurate strike to the left hand side of Kuszczak.
Rooney restored United`s lead three minutes after the re-start. Giggs playing provider, who guided a lofted ball toward Rooney who, in turn, fooled Begovic with a low shot.
Six minutes later and the watching fans were treated to a third penalty of the game as the productive Giggs was deemed to have been on the wrong end of a Piquionne foul. Rooney, for his hat-trick, elected to fire to the left hand side of Begovic`s net, and the result was the same as the first - a goal to the visitors.
Giggs capped his performance with a goal three minutes from full-time - his 100th in the Premier League.
Dean awarded United with a free-kick and the veteran midfielder curled a delightful shot around the wall and into the bottom corner, and Begovic stood little chance of denying Giggs his champagne moment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow