Man U win a record 19th league title

Manchester United were crowned Premier League champions for a record 19th time.

Blackburn: Manchester United were crowned Premier League champions after a Wayne Rooney penalty earned them the point they needed in a 1-1 draw away to Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park on Saturday.

The result meant Sir Alex Ferguson`s side clinched a record 19th English title, going one in front of arch-rivals Liverpool, but it wasn`t achieved without controversy along the way.

It looked as though the Red Devils` party would have to be put on hold for a while longer as they struggled to break down a Blackburn side who took a first-half lead through Brett Emerton.

But despite being below-par, and riding their luck, United sealed the draw they required in the 73rd minute.

Javier Hernandez was tripped by Blackburn goalkeeper Paul Robinson and, after much deliberation, referee Phil Dowd pointed to the penalty spot following consultation with linesman Andy Halliday.

Rooney sent Robinson the wrong way as United reclaimed the title back off Chelsea in the penultimate game of the season to give Ferguson his 12th title as manager since arriving at Old Trafford 25 years ago.

United, given the freedom of Ewood Park at times, saw Nani nearly give them the lead inside four minutes.

Rooney, in a role-reversal, almost turned creator as he made room to deliver a cross that saw the Portuguese winger head against the crossbar from barely six yards out.

United though were given a warning when Chris Samba blazed over the top after good work from Junior Hoilett.

It was a reminder that Blackburn, who had plenty to play for themselves as they look to stave off relegation, weren`t ready to just roll over.

And after United goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak was fortunate to escape conceding following a mix-up with Michael Carrick, the visitors did fall behind in the 20th minute against the run of play.
Further indecision from Kuszczak, standing in for the rested Edwin van der Sar, saw Martin Olsson cross for Emerton to sweep home unmarked at the far post.

It was the Australian`s first goal of 2011 and he couldn`t have scored a more dramatic one if he had tried.

The 7,000 United fans behind the goal were stunned into silence and the visitors did appear rattled.

It took them a while to recover from the setback of falling behind.

So much so that the next time they threatened was not until in the 35th minute as Robinson had to be alert to keep out Hernandez`s low shot.

But Blackburn, happy to put men behind the ball, remained a threat on the counter-attack with Olsson firing wide after meeting Michel Salgado`s deep cross moments later.

The mood of Ferguson, hit with a Football Association improper conduct charge on the eve of this game, wouldn`t have been helped by what he`d witnessed in the first half.

The tempo was raised from his side after the break but chances were still few and far between. A last-ditch block, which summed up the home side, denied veteran Ryan Giggs, also winning his 12th title, a certain leveller on the hour mark.

But Blackburn missed a golden chance in the 65th minute to wrap this game up -- and keep Champions League finalists United waiting another week to claim the Premier League title.
Emerton broke free and his cross saw Olsson rise above Antonio Valencia only for the header to bounce back off the post.

It proved crucial as United went up the other end to score haul themselves level and secure the title moments before local rivals Manchester City kicked-off in the FA Cup final against Stoke.

Bureau Report

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link