Man United banish 2009 talk ahead of Barca rematch
London: Manchester United are seeking to banish the memory of their 2009 humbling by Barcelona as they prepare for Saturday`s Champions League final at Wembley.
Two years ago, Sir Alex Ferguson`s side arrived in Rome brimming with confidence, ready to justify their status as the bookies` favourites by becoming the first side to clinch back-to-back titles.
Ninety minutes and one passing masterclass later, and United were left dazed and confused after a dizzying evening on Barcelona`s famous midfield "carousel" as the Catalans wrapped up a 2-0 win.
Ferguson has never spoken in detail about the reasons for United`s defeat that night, and his reluctance to reflect on that chastening loss has been mirrored by his players ahead of Saturday`s re-match.
Midfielder Michael Carrick, whose reputation took a battering after an anonymous performance in the Stadio Olimpico, insisted that 2009 would have little relevance at Wembley.
"It doesn`t matter about 2009 to be honest," Carrick said. "It`s a different game now. It`s a one-off so we`re concentrating on Saturday.
"We`ll play to our strengths and try and win the game. You`ve got to respect the strengths that Barcelona have because they`re a terrific team but we`re there for a reason as well.”
"We believe we`ve got a very good team. When we play well and do what we`re good at we`re a match for anyone. As I said, it`s all on the night and who plays best on the night."
Defender Rio Ferdinand said he had never dwelt on Barcelona`s decisive second goal in Rome, when he was left in no man`s land by a wicked cross from Xavi which was duly headed home by Lionel Messi.
Asked if he had ever wondered how the diminutive Messi had managed to leap highest, Ferdinand`s response was emphatic: "No. It was a great cross and a great header.”
"Looking back, you don`t want to watch those kind of goals going in, you don`t want to watch any goals going in," Ferdinand said.
"This time hopefully it will be a different result."
United striker Michael Owen had not joined by the time of the 2009 final, but the former England international confirmed the subject had been off limits amongst his team-mates.
"We try not to speak about it much to be honest because you don`t want any negative thoughts going through your mind before this game," Owen said.
"We`re focusing on what we do best, how we can play against them and not really looking back.”
"There`s a few players changed since then. It`s a different time, a different venue.”
"I mean if you were to look back on that game, the first 15 minutes we were outstanding. If we`d scored then it might have been a different game. We`ve got to make sure we do score on Saturday."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'