Man United take threadbare defence to Wolfsburg
London: Manchester United have flown to Germany for Tuesday`s Champions League game against Vfl Wolfsburg with only one first-team defender in their 19-man squad.
Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Wes Brown, Gary Neville, Rafael, Fabio, John O`Shea and Jonny Evans are all absent due to injury or illness.
Fullback Patrice Evra is the only first-choice back in the squad with 19-year-old Oliver Gill the only other recognised defender after United`s hopes to add Belgian youngster Ritchie de Laet were foiled when he was ruled ineligible due to registration issues, the club said on Manchester United’s official website.
Midfielder Michael Carrick, who played in the back four in Saturday`s 4-0 win at West Ham United, is likely to continue in the role, surrounded by a group of inexperienced youngsters.
United are assured of qualification with one game remaining and strikers Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov and midfielder Ryan Giggs have been left out of the trip.
Champions League debutants Wolfsburg are second in the Group B standings on seven points, the same as CSKA Moscow, who play Besiktas.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij