Man United without injured trio for curtain raiser
London: Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez is one of three injured players who will miss Sunday`s English season curtain-raiser against Manchester City, manager Alex Ferguson said Friday.
The Mexican, who had a dream debut season last term as his 13 Premier League goals helped United win a record 19th title, is still recovering from concussion suffered on the club`s pre-season tour of the United States.
Also sidelined for the Community Shield match at Wembley are midfielder Michael Carrick, who has a tight Achilles, and defender Rafael who picked up a knock in last weekend`s friendly against Barcelona.
Hernandez is expected to be fit by the end of August, ruling him out of the start of the league season including next Sunday`s opener at West Bromwich Albion.
"Considering he had a concussion some years ago, we`re playing it safe," Ferguson told a news conference.
Sunday`s derby pits the league champions against the FA Cup winners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets