Manchester United and Spurs quartet recalled by England
London: Wes Brown and Ben Foster of Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur`s Peter Crouch and Aaron Lennon were recalled to the England squad on Sunday for next month`s matches against Slovenia and Croatia.
Coach Fabio Capello recalled Brown for injured United team mate Rio Ferdinand in defence while Foster, who has recovered from injury, replaces Birmingham City`s Joe Hart after missing out for the friendly against the Netherlands on Aug. 12.
Crouch and Lennon, who both scored in a 2-1 win over Birmingham on Saturday, are back in the party after impressive early season displays for Tottenham who are joint top of the Premier League after winning their opening four matches.
Arsenal`s Theo Walcott is omitted while he recovers from a back injury which has kept him sidelined so far this season.
The 24-man party will assemble next week before the friendly against Slovenia on Sept. 5 and the Group Six World Cup qualifier with Croatia at Wembley on Sept 9.
England have won all seven of their World Cup qualifiers so far and will make sure of their place at next year`s finals in South Africa if they beat Croatia.
The visitors will be without their main playmaker Luka Modric after he broke a bone in his fibula playing for Spurs against Birmingham on Saturday.
Goalkeepers: Ben Foster (Manchester United), Robert Green (West Ham United), Paul Robinson (Blackburn Rovers)
Defenders: Wes Brown (Manchester United), Wayne Bridge (Manchester City), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham United)
Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), David Beckham (LA Galaxy), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Aston Villa), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur)
Forwards: Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Peter Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre