Mancini plans Tevez talks for Friday
London: Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini will hold talks with unsettled striker Carlos Tevez on Friday and said he hoped the Argentine would stay at the club despite handing in a transfer request.
The 26-year-old City captain has not travelled with the team to play Juventus in the Europa League on Thursday but has been training with the rest of the squad not required in Italy.
"I haven`t spoken to him yet. He is our player and I hope he continues to play for us and score for us," Mancini told a televised news conference on Wednesday.
"I will speak with him on Friday."
City have already qualified for the knockout phase of the Europa League and are third in the Premier League with Tevez instrumental in their progress this season.
"I am disappointed because we are in a good moment and in a good position in the table and our focus must be on this," Mancini said. "I want to speak to him. Carlos has three-and-a-half years left on his contract."
Tevez said at the weekend that his relationship with some of the executives at the club was "beyond repair" but reacted angrily to suggestions that he was angling for a more lucrative contract -- instead suggesting that promises made to him by the club had not been honoured.
His adviser Kia Joorabchian said Tevez, who signed from Manchester United in 2009 for 26 million pounds (USD 40.73 million), had become disillusioned at the club after their failure to qualify for the Champions League last season.
In August he even said he was considering retiring from the game altogether.
"There was a reason why he signed for the club. He saw the vision of the owner," Joorabchian told the Daily Telegraph newspaper.
"He decided he would sign for the club, play one year outside the Champions League and, hopefully, take this club into the next phase.”
"When he joined City, he made a commitment that this was what he wanted to do. At the end of last season, after all the turmoil, Carlos was bitterly disappointed because they did not qualify for the Champions League.
"He felt the situation at the club was not going in the same direction as he imagined. In the summer he wanted to leave."
Joorabchian also said Tevez was unhappy with the club`s transfer policy, despite splashing out huge amounts on players like James Milner and Yaya Toure.
"Through September Carlos again began to get disillusioned," Joorabchian said. "His view was that they had agreed and promises were made to him and now the transfer window was closed these issues were not being resolved."
Tevez has scored 33 goals in 50 league appearances for City and is the highest-paid player at the club and Joorabchian said he was not refusing to play for the club.
"He will play if picked and 100 percent do his best," he said. "He feels that it`s important every time he puts on the shirt. He always gives 100 percent."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark