Mandeep claims innocence, hits back at federation
New Delhi: Tainted athlete Mandeep Kaur hit back at the Athletics Federation of India on Friday for lack of help for the athletes from the federation and also questioned the authorities for not providing personal doctors.
On their arrival at Delhi after being summoned by AFI, all suspended athletes expressed their shock for being tested positive by NADA.
Talking to reporters in Delhi, a shocked Mandeep, Commonwealth and Asian Games gold medallist in 4X400m relay, said she has never taken any banned substance knowingly. “I never intended to shame the nation,” she said. She added the athletes’ food needs to be checked.
Meanwhile, former athletes called for a probe on the coaches’ role in the doping scandal, claiming that it is their duty to ensure that such instances do not occur.
Out of the six suspended, four athletes were training under Ukrainian coach Yuri Ogorodnik.
Six track and field athletes, including two Commonwealth and Asian Games gold medallists, flunked dope tests for anabolic steroids conducted recently.
Mandeep Kaur and Sini Jose, both members of the Indian women`s 4x400m relay quartet that won gold in the Commonwealth and Asian Games last year, quarter-milers Jauna Murmu and Tiana Mary Thomas, long jumper Hari Krishnan and shot putter Sonia were caught for doping.
Mandeep and Jauna flunked out-of-competition tests conducted by International Association of Athletics Federations at NIS Patiala last month while Sini, Mary Thomas, Hari Krishnan and Sonia returned positive in in-competition tests by NADA during June 11-14 Senior National Inter-state Athletics Meet in Bangalore.
Jauna also failed the test conducted by NADA in Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened