Manipur govt announces Rs 10 lakh for `Magnificent Mary`
Imphal: Manipur government on Monday
announced a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh for star women boxer M C
Mary Kom, who achieved a rare feat of five consecutive world
titles in Bridgetown last week.
Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh announced purse "in
recognition of her (Mary Kom`s) historic achievement," an
official release said.
"A daughter of Manipur and sportsperson par excellence,
Mary Kom has emerged as an epitome of inspiration and
motivation of our youth today. Whole Manipur celebrates her
achievement with indescribable joy," the release said.
Mary Kom is working as deputy superintendent of police in
Manipur police department.
The 27-year-old mother-of-two clinched the fifth gold
medal at the World Championships on September 18 by thrashing
old foe Steluta Duta of Romania 16-6 in the light flyweight
Dubbed `Magnificent Mary` by the International Boxing
Association for her historic feat, the diminutive
counter-puncher is the only woman boxer to have clinched a
medal in each of the six World Championships, starting with a
silver in the inaugural edition in 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie