Manipur poll campaign at a very low ebb
Imphal: Barely eleven days to go,
lacklustre campaigning for the coming January 28 Manipur assembly polls is at a very low ebb with candidates confining to hoisting flags at their houses and their supporters.
Reports from all districts said, apart from hoisting
flags at their houses, candidates were doing house-to-house
campaigns to woo voters in their favours.
The Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) which was
a major issue in previous election was no longer a major issue
this time although the political parties raised this issue
during the campaigning, reports said.
Reports said candidates while campaigning were
concentrating the erratic power supply, shortage of drinking
water, insurgency problem, previous government`s failure to
make the national highways free from any trouble.
There has not been any major public meetings of any
party to woo voters in any part of the state to woo voters,
reports said adding that it may be because of restrictions
imposed by various insurgent outfits on political
Political observers said no political parties or their
supporters have not been campaigning in favour of their
candidates by using public loud speaker system or have they
put up any posters at any public places in favour of their
`It is silent all over unlike in the past,` reports
said adding that the polls this time was totally different
from the past.
Political observers said every voter should have the
opportunity to choose the representative of their choice and
too much restrictions both by insurgents and authorities was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends