Manipur polls: 291 candidates in fray
Imphal: Over 290 candidates are in the fray
for the Manipur Assembly elections scheduled on January 28,
election office said Friday.
Scrutiny of nomination papers was completed yesterday
and 291 of them were found valid after rejecting others.
Withdrawal of nomination has been fixed for tomorrow and
the exact number of candidates who would remain in the poll
fight would be known tomorrow evening if reports from
concerned returning officers are received by then, the
Two candidates - Y Mangi of Manipur People`s Party (MPP)
who has entered the contest for Heingang constituency in
Imphal east district and independent candidate Itomba Singh
for Keirao seat in Imphal east district would contest the
polls from jail.
The two had been arrested for alleged links with
Election office said there would be 2357 polling stations
in the state and except 160 of them the rest has been declared
hyper-sensitive and sensitive. Manipur has a 60-member
Of the 350 companies (comprising approximately 3500
personnel) of security personnel, including 280 companies of
para military forces, to be deployed in the insurgency-hit
state 127 companies have already arrived. The rest would be
sent from the neighbouring states.
Besides, Manipur state armed police and other forces
would also be deployed, official sources said.
Besides eight political parties recognised by the
Election Commission of India including Congress, NCP, BJP,
JD(U), Trinamool Congress and others, other smaller parties
and independents would contest the forthcoming polls.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India