Manmohan Singh holds talks with Singapore PM
Singapore: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday invited greater investments from Singapore, describing the city-state as a "valued partner" for India`s ambitious
plans for infrastructure development which requires about one trillion dollars over five years.
Singh, who is here on a two-day visit, made a strong pitch for investments as he held talks with Singapore`s Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on ways to boost the ties in a wide range of areas, including security and defence cooperation.
Lee extended his country`s support to India`s permanent membership of an expanded UN Security Council.
"Our government places the highest priority on our relations with Singapore. Ours is a partnership that stands on the foundation of shared values of pluralism, secularism and democracy, and convergence of our perspectives on regional and
international issues," Singh said at a luncheon hosted by Lee.
"Singapore has emerged as a valued partner for our ambitious plans for infrastructure development. It is India`s largest trade and investment partner in ASEAN," he said, adding "We welcome greater investment and technology flows
Singh discussed the issue of investments during his talkswith Lee prior to the lunch, highlighting how India requires greater funds to develop its infrastructure and other sectors.
The government has estimated that USD one trillion would be required only for infrastructure development over a five-year period.
Singapore`s foreign direct investment in India is the second largest with the cumulative FDI being USD 14 billion, India`s High Commissioner here TCA Raghavan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- 7th Pay Commission: Calculate your revised salary using this calculator
- Xiaomi rolls out first laptop to take on Lenovo, Apple
- 7th Pay Commission: Centre seeks states comments on pay hike to IAS, IPS
- Pakistan cricket chief Shaharyar Khan does a U-turn, allows players' families to stay
- Rail passengers to get insurance cover of Rs 10 lakh from Sept for just Re 1