Manmohan Singh holds talks with Singapore PM
Singapore: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday invited greater investments from Singapore, describing the city-state as a "valued partner" for India`s ambitious
plans for infrastructure development which requires about one trillion dollars over five years.
Singh, who is here on a two-day visit, made a strong pitch for investments as he held talks with Singapore`s Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on ways to boost the ties in a wide range of areas, including security and defence cooperation.
Lee extended his country`s support to India`s permanent membership of an expanded UN Security Council.
"Our government places the highest priority on our relations with Singapore. Ours is a partnership that stands on the foundation of shared values of pluralism, secularism and democracy, and convergence of our perspectives on regional and
international issues," Singh said at a luncheon hosted by Lee.
"Singapore has emerged as a valued partner for our ambitious plans for infrastructure development. It is India`s largest trade and investment partner in ASEAN," he said, adding "We welcome greater investment and technology flows
Singh discussed the issue of investments during his talkswith Lee prior to the lunch, highlighting how India requires greater funds to develop its infrastructure and other sectors.
The government has estimated that USD one trillion would be required only for infrastructure development over a five-year period.
Singapore`s foreign direct investment in India is the second largest with the cumulative FDI being USD 14 billion, India`s High Commissioner here TCA Raghavan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof