Manna Dey gets Dadasaheb Phalke Award
Mumbai: The doyen of Hindi and Bengali cinema, playback singer Manna Dey has been honoured with the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2007.
Manna Dey, along with Mukesh, Mohammad Rafi and Kishore Kumar, formed the famous quartet who ruled the Indian film industry between the 1950s and ‘70s. They together churned out several huge hits such as ‘Aye Mere Pyaare’ – ‘Kabuliwala’, ‘Aye Meri Zhora’ – ‘Waqt’, ‘Kasme Waade Pyar’ – ‘Upkaar’, ‘Mud Mud Ke Na Deekh’ – ‘Shree 420’, ‘Poocho Na Kaise’ - ‘Teri Surat Meri Anken’, ‘Zindagi Kaisi Hai’ – ‘Anand’ and many more timeless classics in Hindi and Bengali that made Manna Dey a household name and soon turned him into a living legend.
The singer who has sung more than 3,500 songs has already been awarded the Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan.
Pyarelal of the fabled Laxmikant Pyrelal music director jodi said, “I am very happy for Dada. Manna Dey is a versatile singer who sang from pure classical to romantic songs with great élan.”
The prestigious Dadasahed Phalke Award in an annual prize given by the government of India for the lifetime contribution in the field of Indian cinema.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players