Maoists kill five people in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Maoist guerrillas shot dead five people in Jharkhand, authorities said Monday. The rebels apparently suspected the five were police informers.
"Five people were abducted by the Maoist rebels late Sunday night and were shot dead," Jharkhand police spokesperson SN Pradhan said.
According to police, activists of banned group Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) raided Pundigiri village under Tamar block, 45 km from state capital Ranchi, abducted the five villagers and took them to a forest where they were shot dead.
The bodies were recovered Monday.
"The killed people had Maoist background. The activists killed them on suspicion of passing information about their movement to police," said Pradhan.
Maoist rebels are active in 18 of the 22 districts of the state. Nearly 1,550 people have been killed in last eight years in Jharkhand in Maoist violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron