Maoists kill two cops in Jharkhand’s Dhanbad district
Ranchi: Two cops were shot dead by Maoist rebels in Dhanbad district of Jharkhand, police said Wednesday.
According to the police, the cops from Dhanbad district, which is around 260 km from Ranchi, went to the local market Tuesday night. Maoist rebels belonging to the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) fired at them in the market. Both died on the spot.
The killed cops were Assistant Sub-Inspector Nirmal Kumar and Constable Deepak Bawari.
Senior police officials including Superintendent of Police Manoj Kausik rushed to the Maniadih police picket in the area Wednesday morning.
Maoist guerrillas are active in 18 of the 24 districts in Jharkhand. Nearly 1,500 people have been killed in Maoist-related violence in the last eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth