Maoists kill two cops in Jharkhand’s Dhanbad district
Ranchi: Two cops were shot dead by Maoist rebels in Dhanbad district of Jharkhand, police said Wednesday.
According to the police, the cops from Dhanbad district, which is around 260 km from Ranchi, went to the local market Tuesday night. Maoist rebels belonging to the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) fired at them in the market. Both died on the spot.
The killed cops were Assistant Sub-Inspector Nirmal Kumar and Constable Deepak Bawari.
Senior police officials including Superintendent of Police Manoj Kausik rushed to the Maniadih police picket in the area Wednesday morning.
Maoist guerrillas are active in 18 of the 24 districts in Jharkhand. Nearly 1,500 people have been killed in Maoist-related violence in the last eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport