Maoists threat to blow up govt offices in Orissa
Rourkela: Maoists have allegedly threatened
to blow up block offices in Sundergarh district if the
authorities failed to pay compensation to families in Subdega
and Balishankara area who had lost lives and properties in
The block development officers of Subdega and
Balishankara got the threat yesterday by post.
Two letters written with red ink in English, Oriya and
Sadri (local adivasi language) have threatened the officials
to pay compensation within September 5 to families in the
blocks which lost their members, properties and crop in
elephant attacks since 2006, officials said today.
The rebels demanded Rs three lakh to families who lost
their members in pachyderm attacks, Rs two lakh for those
whose houses were completely damaged and Rs 50,000 for half
damaged and Rs 30,000 for partially damaged houses.
The ultras threatened to blow up the block offices on
September 11 if their demand was not met, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends