Maracana stadium to host 2014 FIFA WC final
Rio de Janeiro: The famous Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro will host the final of the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
“The final is already certain, even though we think that lots of other cities could have hosted this match,” FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke was quoted, as saying.
“This stadium already hosted the final 61 years ago. What we have to decide now is where the semi-finals and the opening match will take place,” he added.
The giant arena previously hosted the deciding match of the World Cup in 1950, when hosts Brazil were stunned 2-1 by Uruguay, a daily reports.
FIFA has however stressed the decision to host the World Cup final was not yet official. “No official decision has been taken,” FIFA communications director Nicolas Maingot said.
Brazil will host the World Cup, but the country is facing a challenge to prepare 12 venues for the tournament within the next three years.
In particular, the process of giving the Maracana in downtown Rio a massive facelift has been a daily topic of conversation among fans as the bill has risen inexorably, though the official estimate is some 700 million dollars.
The World Cup will begin on June 12, 2014 and end on July 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand