Maracana stadium to host 2014 FIFA WC final
Rio de Janeiro: The famous Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro will host the final of the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
“The final is already certain, even though we think that lots of other cities could have hosted this match,” FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke was quoted, as saying.
“This stadium already hosted the final 61 years ago. What we have to decide now is where the semi-finals and the opening match will take place,” he added.
The giant arena previously hosted the deciding match of the World Cup in 1950, when hosts Brazil were stunned 2-1 by Uruguay, a daily reports.
FIFA has however stressed the decision to host the World Cup final was not yet official. “No official decision has been taken,” FIFA communications director Nicolas Maingot said.
Brazil will host the World Cup, but the country is facing a challenge to prepare 12 venues for the tournament within the next three years.
In particular, the process of giving the Maracana in downtown Rio a massive facelift has been a daily topic of conversation among fans as the bill has risen inexorably, though the official estimate is some 700 million dollars.
The World Cup will begin on June 12, 2014 and end on July 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what