Maradona backs Messi as Argentina face Costa Rica
Cordoba: Lionel Messi`s Argentina put their Copa America fortunes on the line on Monday against a Costa Rica side assembled at the last minute.
The hosts, boasting half a dozen of the world`s top forwards and the pre-tournament favourites, have struggled and have found the net only once in two draws against Bolivia and Colombia.
The Costa Ricans, with a young side under wily Argentine coach Ricardo La Volpe, shocked Bolivia 2-0 in Jujuy on Thursday to take second place in Group A behind Colombia and above Argentina.
Messi, his team mates and coach Sergio Batista have come under fire from media and fans with former captain and 2010 World Cup coach Diego Maradona stepping in to demand more support for Argentina.
"We Argentines can`t behave like this with the best (player) in the world," Maradona said, criticising reports attacking Messi.
An emotional Maradona, whose mother is in hospital, also told the sports daily Ole in an exclusive interview published on Sunday (www.ole.com.ar), that he would have struggled playing with three holding midfielders.
Batista plays Javier Mascherano, Ever Banega and Esteban Cambiasso in the middle of a 4-3-3 formation. Sergio Aguero, as a substitute against Bolivia, has scored their only goal of the tournament so far.
"(Javier) Pastore would be a good associate for Lio," said Maradona referring to the Palermo playmaker who shone this season in Serie A and to a lack of creativity in Batista`s midfield. Pastore has yet to make even a substitute`s appearance in the tournament.
Costa Rica, with a mainly under-23 team and only half the squad that reached the quarter-finals of last month`s Concacaf Gold Cup in the United States, could upset the apple cart if Argentina do not improve.
La Volpe, whose side were invited to the tournament at the last minute after Japan pulled out, said their preparations included a psychological aspect.
"I`m focusing on how to counter a strong team who want to show the Argentine people they have a good national side. There`s no doubt they`ll come with everything so we have to be very concentrated," he told reporters.
"If we play against the big names and the (Argentina) shirt we`re not going to do great things. We must liberate ourselves, the lads must forget those things so they can play a match they see as easy to win, going out (to play) with that mentality."
Colombia, looking to finish top of the group, and Bolivia were playing later on Sunday in Santa Fe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!