Maradona eyes Premier League coaching role
London: Argentina football legend Diego Maradona has revealed his desire to manage in the English Premier League.
Maradona is seeking a new challenge after parting company with the Argentina national side which he lead to the quarter-finals of the 2010 World Cup.
The former World Cup-winning captain, who will celebrate his 50th birthday tomorrow, is now seeking a return to management, and admitted he was attracted by England’s top flight.
He told Sky Sports News: “Yes, I would like to manage in the Premier League.
“It has very good teams, an exceptional level and great players.
“The only problem is all the teams I like in England have good coaches.
“If any important job comes along I will accept it.”
Maradona has been linked with a number of posts in recent months, including the Aston Villa job, but insists he was never in the running to accept a role.
“I want to make it clear that I didn’t offer myself for any job, nor did anyone offer me anything,” he said.
“But I know I will go back with the national team some day, that is my fate. I’m waiting.”
Maradona remains bitter about his exit as Argentina head coach after it had seemed his contract would be extended by Argentine Football Association.
“They took away the national team from me unfairly,” he said.
“I don’t want to talk about it, it doesn’t deserve any words. I am in too good a mood to talk about people who don’t deserve my words.
“But I do miss the national team.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata