Maradona’s future to be decided on Tuesday
Buenos Aires: Diego Maradona’s future as coach of Argentina will be decided at a meeting of football association bosses on Tuesday, a spokesman for the organisation has said.
Maradona met the head of the Argentine Football Association (AFA), Julio Grondona, on Monday for more than two hours to determine whether he continue as coach following Argentina’s 4-0 defeat by Germany in the World Cup quarter-finals.
“They had a long meeting and analysed the current state of the team and his future,” AFA spokesman Ernesto Cherquis Bialo said on Monday.
“A decision will be taken tomorrow. I can’t say if an agreement was reached. The president has drafted a report and will present it to the AFA executive committee tomorrow.”
He added that the meeting would be held at 7:30 pm local time.
Maradona told local media on Sunday he wanted to stay as coach but only if he could keep control over the choice of his assistants.
“I want to continue. Whether I stay will be decided in the meeting I’ll have with Grondona ... and the outcome of that will depend on what he wants and whether he accepts what I ask of him,” Maradona told Argentine television in his first comments to local reporters since World Cup elimination.
“Continuing means taking charge and with the people I want,” Maradona added, alluding to media reports that the AFA would ask him to replace some members of his coaching team.
“There’s no way I’ll continue as coach of the national team if they want to take (Alejandro) Mancuso or (Hector) Enrique away from me ... or if they want to impose someone or other on me.”
Maradona, a World Cup winner as a player in 1986, has endured a patchy performance as coach of Argentina.
He defended his team’s performance in South Africa despite their painful exit.
“We didn’t deserve to finish that way, we had done good work,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in