Married lesbian couple seeks protection from NHRC
Muzaffarnagar: A lesbian couple, who invited wrath of their families after they eloped and entered into a wedlock, has sought protection from NHRC fearing threat to their lives, police said on Saturday.
The two girls -- Pinki (19) and Komal (18) – belonging to Shamli, 35 KM away, shocked their parents by expressing desire to marry two months ago.
The marriage came to light after Pinki filed a complaint with a senior police official alleging harassment by her parents, police said.
The police team, which is investigating into the matter, yesterday received a copy of the complaint filed by the couple with the National Human Rights Commission seeking protection, they said.
Meanwhile, Bhartiya Kisan Union president Mahendra Singh Tikait said such a marriage is against the ethos and tradition of any religion and should be opposed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing