Married lesbian couple seeks protection from NHRC
Muzaffarnagar: A lesbian couple, who invited wrath of their families after they eloped and entered into a wedlock, has sought protection from NHRC fearing threat to their lives, police said on Saturday.
The two girls -- Pinki (19) and Komal (18) – belonging to Shamli, 35 KM away, shocked their parents by expressing desire to marry two months ago.
The marriage came to light after Pinki filed a complaint with a senior police official alleging harassment by her parents, police said.
The police team, which is investigating into the matter, yesterday received a copy of the complaint filed by the couple with the National Human Rights Commission seeking protection, they said.
Meanwhile, Bhartiya Kisan Union president Mahendra Singh Tikait said such a marriage is against the ethos and tradition of any religion and should be opposed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India