Married lesbian couple seeks protection from NHRC
Muzaffarnagar: A lesbian couple, who invited wrath of their families after they eloped and entered into a wedlock, has sought protection from NHRC fearing threat to their lives, police said on Saturday.
The two girls -- Pinki (19) and Komal (18) – belonging to Shamli, 35 KM away, shocked their parents by expressing desire to marry two months ago.
The marriage came to light after Pinki filed a complaint with a senior police official alleging harassment by her parents, police said.
The police team, which is investigating into the matter, yesterday received a copy of the complaint filed by the couple with the National Human Rights Commission seeking protection, they said.
Meanwhile, Bhartiya Kisan Union president Mahendra Singh Tikait said such a marriage is against the ethos and tradition of any religion and should be opposed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city