Mary Kom a relieved mother, her son`s heart surgery successful
New Delhi: World champion boxer MC Mary Kom
was a relieved mother on Wednesday as her ailing son underwent a
"successful" heart surgery in Chandigarh.
Mary Kom, who won the gold in the Asian Cup women boxing
tournament in China on Monday, had to rush to Chandigarh as
soon as she landed here last night to be with her son.
Her three-and-a-half-year old son K Khupneivar, who is
suffering from congenital heart disease, underwent
cardiovascular surgery at the Postgraduate Institute of
Medical Education and Research in Chandigarh.
Mary Kom`s husband Onler, who was looking after his son,
told PTI from Chandigarh that the surgery had gone without
problem though his son is still in the Intensive Care Unit for
post surgery recovery.
"The surgery is over now without any problem. My son is
still in the ICU as is required after any operation," Onler
"Mary is relieved that the surgery is over without
problem. I was looking after Khupneivar when she was in China.
She is now with our son," he said.
Onler said it was a tough decision for Mary to go for the
Asian Cup but everything has turned out for the best.
"It was a very difficult decision for Mary to go to China
for the Asian Cup but we wanted her to take part in the
tournament. My son was very happy when he knew that her mother
won a gold," he said.
"We have a Manipuri friend who is a heart doctor here at
PGI. So we decided to do the surgery here. Mary had to rush
directly to the hospital from Delhi Airport. Now everything
had turned out for the best. She has won gold and the surgery
is over without problem," he added.
28-year-old Mary Kom, a mother of two from Manipur,
defeated her North Korea rival Kim Myong Sim 4-3 in the final
of the 48-kg category to win gold.
Besides winning five consecutive world titles, Mary Kom
has four Asian Championship gold medals and 11 national titles
under her belt. She is an Arjuna Awardee and has also won
Padma Shri and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna.
She won a bronze medal in the 2010 Asian Games in China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...