Mary Kom continues to shine at World Championships, in semis
Bridgetown: MC Mary Kom (48kg)
remained firmly on course for a historic fifth successive gold
by advancing to the semifinals along with Kavita (+81kg) to
assure India of two medals in the sixth Women`s World
Mary Kom beat Lynsey Holdaway from Wales 9-2 in the
quarter-final to set up a clash with Alice Appari of the
Philippines, whom she had beaten in their only face off six
The mother-of-two from Manipur took a narrow 2-1 lead in
the opening round and built on it in the next two rounds to be
6-2 ahead by the third round. In the final round, Mary Kom
launched an all-out attack to seal the issue in her favour.
"It was not all that tough for me. I had never faced her
before but didn`t have to slog too much. So far so good," the
27-year-old told reporters after the bout.
"Despite the increased competition, I think I can still
dominate my category. I am not bragging but it hasn`t been
very tough for me despite the fact that I have already played
three rounds. My body is also feeling great," she said.
Talking about her next-round opponent, Mary Kom, who was
conferred the Khel Ratna award last year, said, "I know this
girl. I beat her in 2004 and hopefully even this time I would
win. I will try my best. I have my fingers crossed for a fifth
Dubbed `Magnificent Mary` by the International Boxing
Association, the Indian has the unique feat of having won a
medal in each of the previous World Championships. She was
silver-medallist in the inaugural edition and has not settled
for anything less then a gold after that.
Among other Indians, Kavita too advanced to the
semifinals by beating Adriana Hosu of Romania 9-6. She will
face Kateryna Kuzhel of the Ukraine in the last-four stage
But there was disappointment as well, with Laxmi Padiya
(81kg) losing 4-18 to Kazakh Marina Volnova last night.
The current edition of the World Championship features 72
countries. The increased competition has hit 2006 overall
champions India rather hard with just two medals assured this
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know