Mary Kom, Kavita win boxing gold
Hanoi: Four-time world champion M C Mary Kom staved off a stiff resistance from local pugilist Hoa Nguyen Thi to win the 46 kg title as India won two gold and as many silver medals in women`s boxing of the third Asian Indoor Games here today.
Kavita Goyat (64kg) won the second gold for India while L
Sarita Devi (54 kg) and N Usha (57kg) bagged a silver each.
Mary Kom had to dig dip in her vast experience against
the Vietnamese who was not intimidated by the reputation of
Kom was the first to open account and was 1-0 up after
first round. The second round show the local boxer matching
Mary Kom punch for punch as both scored two points each.
The third round was more entertaining as both the boxers
went all out for points and both scored three each, with Mary
Kom leading 6-5.
In the final round, Mary Kom not only held off the
Vietnamese but scored two crucial points to the local
opponent`s one to win the bout 8-6.
Kavita fetched India`s second gold in boxing by defeating
Khassenova Saida of Kazhakstan 8-4 in a close final bout in 64
At the end of third round, Kavita was leading by just a
point at 5-4 but the Indian scored three points without reply
in the final round to win the bout.
In contrast to Kavita, L Sarita Devi lost her 54 kg final
bout against Zhang Qin of China at the final round.
Sarita was leading 5-4 at the end of third round but in
the final round she conceded five points to the Chinese to two
herself to go down 7-9 for a silver.
Usha started a low scoring bout well against Laopeam
Peamwilai of Thailand by opening account in the first round.
But the Indian could not score a single point in the next two
rounds while her opponent collected three.
Usha was trailing 1-3 at the start of the final round and
the Indian tried hard but could scored only one point to lose
the bout 2-3.
Meanwhile, W Sandhyarani fetched a bronze in women`s 56
kg wushu. She lost her semifinal match against Iran`s Maryam
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery