Mary Kom opens with win in World C`ship
Bridgetown (Barbados): Four-time defending champion M C Mary Kom (48kg) began her campaign in style, out-punching Sweden`s Lungo Vesenne Natalie 10-1 in the opening round of the sixth World Women`s Boxing Championships here.
Dubbed `Magnificent Mary` by the International Boxing
Association (AIBA), Mary Kom was slightly cautious to start
with before gaining in confidence to lead 2-0 after the
The mother-of-two from Manipur built on the lead making
it 6-0 in the second round. Mar Kom added four more points to
her kitty in the next two rounds to round off a dominating
Her next opponent in the pre-quarterfinals tomorrow would
be Jenny Smith of Australia.
However, there was disappointment for India in the 54kg
category when Priyanka lost 6-10 to Asian Champion Zhang Qin
At the end of the first round, Priyanka trailed 2-4 and
never really recovered from the deficit to bow out of the
tournament in the opening round itself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble