Mary Kom, three others in Asian Indoor Games finals
Hanoi (Vietnam): Four-time world champion M C
Mary Kom led the charge as three Indian woman boxers advanced
to the finals with contrasting wins in the third Asian Indoor
Games here today.
Khel Ratna awardee Mary Kom defeated Josie Gabuco of
Philippines in the 46kg semifinals. The Indian took a narrow
2-1 lead in the opening round and it remained that way until
the third round when she extended it to 6-2 before making it
7-3 in the final round.
She will take on Hoa Nguyi Thi of Vietnam in the final on
Arjuna awardee L Sarita Devi (54kg) and N Usha (57kg)
were the other two Indians who made it to the final of their
Sarita Devi dominated her bout to annihilate Vietnam`s
Lien Doan Thi 25-3. She now meets Qin Zhang of China in the
Usha, however, survived a scare against local hope Chung
Usha was 1-1 with Thi at the end of the third round after
failing to score a single point in the first two rounds. She
took a slender 3-2 lead in the beginning of the fourth round
and hung on to it to scrape past her gritty rival. Usha meets
Peamwilai Laopeam of Thailand in the final.
However, in the 51kg category, Chhoto Laura was
outpunched 0-6 by World Championship silver medalist Annie
Albania of Phillippines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information