Mary Kom, three others in Asian Indoor Games finals
Hanoi (Vietnam): Four-time world champion M C
Mary Kom led the charge as three Indian woman boxers advanced
to the finals with contrasting wins in the third Asian Indoor
Games here today.
Khel Ratna awardee Mary Kom defeated Josie Gabuco of
Philippines in the 46kg semifinals. The Indian took a narrow
2-1 lead in the opening round and it remained that way until
the third round when she extended it to 6-2 before making it
7-3 in the final round.
She will take on Hoa Nguyi Thi of Vietnam in the final on
Arjuna awardee L Sarita Devi (54kg) and N Usha (57kg)
were the other two Indians who made it to the final of their
Sarita Devi dominated her bout to annihilate Vietnam`s
Lien Doan Thi 25-3. She now meets Qin Zhang of China in the
Usha, however, survived a scare against local hope Chung
Usha was 1-1 with Thi at the end of the third round after
failing to score a single point in the first two rounds. She
took a slender 3-2 lead in the beginning of the fourth round
and hung on to it to scrape past her gritty rival. Usha meets
Peamwilai Laopeam of Thailand in the final.
However, in the 51kg category, Chhoto Laura was
outpunched 0-6 by World Championship silver medalist Annie
Albania of Phillippines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics