Mary Kom wants to represent Jharkhand in National Games
Jamshedpur: World Boxing Champion M C Mary
Kom has expressed her desire to represent Jharkhand in the
forthcoming 34th National Games to be held from February 12 to
"Yes, I want to represent Jharkhand in the mega sports
event and I had talks with the Jharkhand Boxing Association
(JBA) general secretary, Dinesh Upadhyay and coach Ajit Singh
in this regard," Mary Kom told reporters from Pune over phone.
Asked why she wants to represent Jharkhand, the five-time
world boxing champion said, "One of my Manipur statemate
Sarita Devi has qualified to represent Manipur in the National
Games in the same weight category (51 kgs). So I want to
"As the National Games was big event, sportspersons can
represent any state or board with the consent of the proper
authority," she added.
JBA officials have no objection to her representing
Jharkhand, while expressing confidence that she will procure
the No Objection Certificate (NOC) soon.
"Mary Kom`s representation would ensure a medal for
Jharkhand and it will also be a morale booster for the state
women team," Upadhyay said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days