Match-fixing clouds hover over IPL
Mumbai: The dark clouds of match-fixing seem to be hovering over the Indian Premier League matches as many experts are dumbfounded by league’s chairman- Lalit Modi’s almost accurate prediction of results in the tournament so far.
While the accurate results can be put down to `lucky guesses’, Modi, on twitter, appearing surprised at Chennai Super Kings’ defeat to Delhi Daredevils raised a few more eye-brows.
This is not the first time that Modi, though only in hushed whispers so far, has been accused of controlling results in the cash rich league.
During last year’s edition, Modi had correctly predicted a Rajasthan Royals win even as their match against Kolkata Knight Riders was headed for a nail-biting finish.
The match was sorted after a Supwe-Over, which, too was as per Modi had told his friends.
Skeptics believe that forced breaks like strategy time-outs are also an avenue, which are utilized to serve malicious intents of the bookies.
Modi has faced a tumultuous last week which has seen the once authoritalian commissioner who ran the league as her his whims and fancies, seek desperate measures to keep clutching on to his position.
Infact after Modi`s public spat with Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor Kochi franchise ownership, reports are abuzz that his powers are set to be curtailed considerably.
The furor started when Modi revealed the identities of the stakeholders of the Kochi team. The shareholders in the team include a Dubai-based businesswoman Sunanda Pushkar, who is a close friend of Tharoor.
Modi alleged that Tharoor tried to pressurise him into not revealing the stakeholders` identity, especially Sunanda. Tharoor denied the allegations and accused Modi of trying to scuttle Kochi`s bid.
An ugly war of words ensued and while Tharoor is now under intense pressure to resign, Modi has also landed in a soup as details have also emerged of his relatives` stakes in Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI Punjab.
The matter turned into a political storm and an income tax nightmare for the IPL.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview