Match-fixing clouds hover over IPL
Mumbai: The dark clouds of match-fixing seem to be hovering over the Indian Premier League matches as many experts are dumbfounded by league’s chairman- Lalit Modi’s almost accurate prediction of results in the tournament so far.
While the accurate results can be put down to `lucky guesses’, Modi, on twitter, appearing surprised at Chennai Super Kings’ defeat to Delhi Daredevils raised a few more eye-brows.
This is not the first time that Modi, though only in hushed whispers so far, has been accused of controlling results in the cash rich league.
During last year’s edition, Modi had correctly predicted a Rajasthan Royals win even as their match against Kolkata Knight Riders was headed for a nail-biting finish.
The match was sorted after a Supwe-Over, which, too was as per Modi had told his friends.
Skeptics believe that forced breaks like strategy time-outs are also an avenue, which are utilized to serve malicious intents of the bookies.
Modi has faced a tumultuous last week which has seen the once authoritalian commissioner who ran the league as her his whims and fancies, seek desperate measures to keep clutching on to his position.
Infact after Modi`s public spat with Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor Kochi franchise ownership, reports are abuzz that his powers are set to be curtailed considerably.
The furor started when Modi revealed the identities of the stakeholders of the Kochi team. The shareholders in the team include a Dubai-based businesswoman Sunanda Pushkar, who is a close friend of Tharoor.
Modi alleged that Tharoor tried to pressurise him into not revealing the stakeholders` identity, especially Sunanda. Tharoor denied the allegations and accused Modi of trying to scuttle Kochi`s bid.
An ugly war of words ensued and while Tharoor is now under intense pressure to resign, Modi has also landed in a soup as details have also emerged of his relatives` stakes in Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI Punjab.
The matter turned into a political storm and an income tax nightmare for the IPL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145