Match-fixing clouds hover over IPL
Mumbai: The dark clouds of match-fixing seem to be hovering over the Indian Premier League matches as many experts are dumbfounded by league’s chairman- Lalit Modi’s almost accurate prediction of results in the tournament so far.
While the accurate results can be put down to `lucky guesses’, Modi, on twitter, appearing surprised at Chennai Super Kings’ defeat to Delhi Daredevils raised a few more eye-brows.
This is not the first time that Modi, though only in hushed whispers so far, has been accused of controlling results in the cash rich league.
During last year’s edition, Modi had correctly predicted a Rajasthan Royals win even as their match against Kolkata Knight Riders was headed for a nail-biting finish.
The match was sorted after a Supwe-Over, which, too was as per Modi had told his friends.
Skeptics believe that forced breaks like strategy time-outs are also an avenue, which are utilized to serve malicious intents of the bookies.
Modi has faced a tumultuous last week which has seen the once authoritalian commissioner who ran the league as her his whims and fancies, seek desperate measures to keep clutching on to his position.
Infact after Modi`s public spat with Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor Kochi franchise ownership, reports are abuzz that his powers are set to be curtailed considerably.
The furor started when Modi revealed the identities of the stakeholders of the Kochi team. The shareholders in the team include a Dubai-based businesswoman Sunanda Pushkar, who is a close friend of Tharoor.
Modi alleged that Tharoor tried to pressurise him into not revealing the stakeholders` identity, especially Sunanda. Tharoor denied the allegations and accused Modi of trying to scuttle Kochi`s bid.
An ugly war of words ensued and while Tharoor is now under intense pressure to resign, Modi has also landed in a soup as details have also emerged of his relatives` stakes in Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI Punjab.
The matter turned into a political storm and an income tax nightmare for the IPL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh